Seattle Fire Department offers 7 tips on avoiding holiday fires
The Seattle Fire Department is offering tips on how to avoid costly and dangerous fires this holiday season. They note that unattended cooking fires are the number one cause.
1. Unattended cooking. Always be present when using the stove and keep children 3 feet away.
2. Put a lid on it! If you do have a pan fire, put a lid on it to extinguish it. NEVER use water on a grease fire.
3. Candles. Consider using electric candles for decorations. If you DO use real flame candles be sure to blow them out before you leave the room or go to bed.
4. Decorations. Keep holiday decorations at least 3 feet away from all heat sources.
5. Lights. If you have a real Christmas tree, make sure to hydrate it daily and turn off the lights on the tree and around the house.
6. Electricity. Utilize a power strip with breakers so you don't overload electrical outlets. NEVER connect more than three strings of lights together.
7. Smoke Alarms. Make sure your smoke alarms are working so you and your family (including your pets) can get out of the house safely if a fire starts. Replace the batteries every six months.