Ballard Crime Watch: Burglars leave paper trail, wouldbe robber caught eating ice cream, teenagers 'fiddle fart' at construction site

Burglar makes off with expensive electronics

July 26, 5:15 p.m., 9200 Block of 6th Ave NW -- When a man returned to his home in the evening, he found that his door was kicked in, a garage door was half open and several expensive electronics had been stolen from his home. A neighbor said the dog outside was barking between noon and 1 p.m.

Several fingerprints were found around the house, as the burglar took his dear sweet time going through everything, even pay stubs and mortgage information. The owner also said he would provide serial numbers to the electronics that were stolen.

Some of the big items that were stolen include:

  • XBOX 360 $250.00
  • Clearwire Modem $50.00
  • IPod Touch black in color 32G $400.00
  • Sound Dock System by "Sharp"
  • Canon Camera 5D with 3 lenses $2500.00 (the camera was inside a black case)
  • Sony Nex6 with 1 lens $1000.00
  • Passports for and his
  • Check book from Wells Fargo (20 checks in one book)
  • "Apple" desk computer G4 white in color $4000.00
  • "Dell" Laptop 14" black in color $750.00
  • IPad Mini, black $500.00
  • "Tevion" audio system white $350.00
  • Two vintage cameras
  • Jewelry ($?)

Burglars leave paper trail at scene of crime

July 27, 4:38 p.m., 1180 Block of 12th Ave NW -- Evidence has begun to mount against two suspects as they left a paper trail from the burglary scene to their purchase of a crowbar and two pair of gloves at Lowe's.

The suspect burglarized a home while the victims were away, stealing a large amount of jewelry, a Toshiba laptop computer ($500) and an approximately 5-6-inch fixed blade knife ($30). The woman said her social security card had been moved and that she was afraid the suspect had taken a picture of it. The suspect also went through several files with credit card information on them but nothing appeared to be taken.

Police found a receipt from Lowe's on the street outside, and on it was a purchase made earlier that day for two pairs of gloves and a 15-inch crowbar -- the crowbar had been found inside the bedroom. Presumably because the suspects were wearing gloves, no fingerprints were found at the scene.

Officers spoke with the store manager at Lowe's and viewed surveillance tape from the time on the receipt. the video showed two males in their late teens or early 20's. One was a white or Hispanic male with short brown hair and wearing a white v-neck t-shirt and light colored pants. The other looked to be a Hispanic male wearing a baseball hat and plaid button up shirt.

The first man had purchased the gloves and crowbar, while the other bought a couple of drinks. They left the store and got into a light, metallic-colored, possibly silver, four-door Sedan.

At this time, no arrests have been made. The receipt and crowbar were entered into evidence.

Wouldbe shoplifter caught eating Ben & Jerry's

July 27, 7: 50 p.m., 1400 Block of NW Market St -- Shoplifting and threatening people is hard work, and sometimes you just have to take a break, sit down, and plow into a carton of Ben & Jerry's with a lighter. (Because who carries a spoon with them when they're committing a crime?)

The man had attempted to shoplift at the Ballard Safeway earlier, placing a variety of items -- cookies, Salsa, chips, M&M's, soft drinks, milk, Drumstick, ice cream, butter and the aforementioned Ben & Jerry's (adding up to a total of a whopping $31.35) -- into a small black basket and walked past all the cashiers.

When a security officer confronted him, the suspect pulled out a knife, threatened him, dropped his black backpack and basket and ran away. In his hands was an unknown item -- which we now know to be Ben & Jerry's.

When officers found the suspect stooped down, eating icecream next to a large metal dumpster, the suspect denied any connection with the incident. But it wasn't long until the security officer came and identified him as the suspect who had threatened him with a knife.

Police booked the suspect into King County Jail where he is in custody for Investigation of Robbery.

Who was in my garage?

A woman woke up to a strange scene in her garage. Somehow, a person had gained entry into her garage and prowled her car. But instead of taking things, the person had left several items in the driveway, including a brown jacket, a document and a plastic Wahl brand case containing electric clipper accessories. None of these belonged to the victims. plastic disposable lighter was also left in her car. the woman said none of these items belonged to her or her husband and she had no idea how the burglar got in, as the garage and the residence were both closed and locked. No prints were found.

Assault victim too drunk to finger suspect

July 28, 12:42 p.m. -- A victim of an assault failed to finger the suspect who possibly assaulted him as he was intoxicated and uncooperative.

Seattle Fire, who was treating the man on scene, said he looked like he was assaulted and had an injury on the right side of his face. A witness had told Seattle Fire that he was kicked in the face.

However, by the time police arrived, the witnesses had left. When asked, the suspect said he saw the victim fall. Police were unable to make an arrest because there was too little evidence.

"Just fiddle farting, officer"

July 3:30 a.m., 2400 Block of NW Market St at the RAFN AMLI construction site -- A couple of young 20-somethings were hanging out in the RAFN AMLI construction site overnight. Police arrived after an alarm was tripped and a video caught the pair climbing a ladder inside the construction site.

The first suspect was described as a white male in his late teens/early 20's, wearing a black and white jacket with winter gloves and jeans; the second suspect was described as a white male in his late teens/early 20's wearing a dark jacket and gloves.

Officers were unable to get inside of the construction crew had an additional lock on the 8 ft. fence that the alarm company was unable to open for the officers.

So the two officers staked out in their car until the two emerged from the site. Eventually, they did, at around 4:48 a.m. Officers got out of the car and shouted, "Stop! Police!" The second suspect scaled back over the fence while the first one hesitated and then gave himself over.

The suspect said he understood his rights as they were read to him and admitted to being inside the premise to "fiddle fart" around. He had a standard Phillips screwdriver and a folding knife on his person. He refused to identify his partner in fiddle-farting crime.

Follow Ballard News-Tribune on Facebook at

And Twitter at

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.