Compost Days coming to Ballard
Have you been composting? What if you had an incentive, and a discount, to compost more?
Lucky for you, Seattle Public Utilities and folks have brought back "Compost Days," which celebrates local composting and gives out free compost and great rewards. It takes place March 15 through April 15, and the Ballard Fred Meyer is one of the participants.
Compost Days is a region-wide campaign to thank residents for diverting 350,000 tons of food and yard waste from landfills in 2012.
The campaign has expanded this year with Seattle Public Utilities, King County Solid Waste Division, Cedar Grove and Waste Management offering free and deeply discounted compost and three Big Dig events across King and Snohomish counties, where finalists will get a chance to dig through a huge pile of compost for $1,000 worth of prizes.
Here’s how it all works:
- Corey the Compostable Apple Core (that loveable apple core guy above) is hiding on posters in various retail locations around King and Snohomish counties. Ballard Fred Meyer is one of the locations, you can the rest on the website at http://cedar-grove.com/about-us/compost-days
- Find a Corey sign, get the code.
- Enter your code in the Found Corey! section at http://cedar-grove.com/about-us/compost-days and register for a chance to compete in the Big Dig and win some pretty cool treasure boxes hidden under the Big Dig compost pile. There are up to $1,000 worth of prizes!
- Compost Days will send you a coupon for a FREE BAG of Cedar Grove Compost for entering.
- Spend the rest of spring enjoying your garden!
The Big Dig
The Big Dig is back, and it’s bigger and better than ever! Join the fun at a Big Dig event near you, where you can win a chance to dig through a 20-yard pile of compost for over $1,000 in buried treasures—including a $500 shopping spree! Bring friends and family out to watch the digging, get deep discounts on compost, and participate in fun, educational Compost Days activities.
Here's the one in Ballard:
Sun. April 7, Fred Meyer, Ballard (915 NW 45th St)
Starts at 11 a.m. –meet Ciscoe Morris at noon!
More info: http://cedar-grove.com/about-us/compost-days
Follow Ballard News-Tribune on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ballardnewstrib
And Twitter at http://twitter.com/ballardnewstrib