Jensen's smokehouse still open after duct fire on Wednesday

You might have seen the sirens and the smoke yesterday at Jensen's Smokehouse in Greenwood.

At 12:04 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2, someone put in a 911 call reporting a fire at the Smokehouse's two-story business located at 10500 block of Greenwood Ave N. Responding firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in the outside generator. It took a little over half-an-hour to completely knock down the fire.

A creosote buildup in the ductwork was most likely ignited by an operating generator and convection oven, according to the Seattle Fire Investigator.

Damage was limited to the ductwork and the roof. Damage estimate is $40,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents. No injuries to report.

We put in a call to Jensen's Smokehouse and they said they are still open. Their biggest smoker is down, but they have two others that they can use.

Follow Ballard News-Tribune on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ballardnewstrib

And Twitter at http://twitter.com/ballardnewstrib

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.