Football: Beavers end season with loss to Mariner
By Christopher Duclos
Friday night was an emotional game for the Ballard High football seniors as the visiting Mariner Marauders (Everett, WA) dealt Ballard their eighth loss of the season. Being the final game of the season for the Beavers, the boys were coming off high energy, having downed Lynnwood the week before in a non-conference game.
However, Mariner had other plans. Defensive woes troubled the Beavers as they surrendered 20 total points per half. The final score was Ballard - 28, Mariner - 40.
Ballard did not respond to the Marauders on the scoreboard until the second quarter, when running back Dominique Smith ran a two yard touchdown play. It was not until the fourth quarter when the Beavers showed up big, totaling 21 points in the final minutes of regulation.
Senior quarterback Johnny Verduin threw for 14 completions for 210 yards and two touchdowns on the game. Wideout Nate Rauda was the recipient of one of those touchdowns from 25 yards out.
Justin Simon had 8 total tackles, one of which was for a loss. Elliot Brockl also showed up big on defense with 5 total tackles, 1 for loss. Other defensive standouts include Nate Rauda (9 tackles), Jordan McColloch (9 tackles), Max Marshall (7 tackles) and Fua Taase (5).
Ballard varsity football will end the season on a 2-8 win loss ratio.
KingCo conference season stat highlights:
- Ballard 3rd best in conference in passing offense.
- Ballard 3rd best in conference in passing defense.
- Senior Dominique Smith - 3rd all purpose yards, 5th in receptions,7th in scoring, 1st in interceptions, 1st in punt return yards, 6th in kickoff return yardage
- Senior Nate Rauda - 7th in all purpose yards, 1st in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, 4th in punt returns, 3rd in tackles
- Senior Johnny Verduin - 2nd in yards passing, 3rd in touchdown passes, 5th in total offense
- *Senior Justin Simon - 15th in tackles for loss
- *Junior Elliott Brockl - 6th in tackles for loss