Garbage, recycling and yard and waste pickup will not happen today at many households due to a strike. A map of the affected areas.
Waste Management strike continues
Got garbage pickup today? You'll have to wait until next week.
The Waste Management strike by Teamsters Union drivers continues, meaning garbage, recycling and food and yard waste will not be picked up today in many areas, according to a Seattle Public Utilities press release.
Customers will not be charged for any extra trash or additional items put on the curb next week, when pickup should resume. SPU encourages people with Wednesday pickup to still put out their garbage, recycling and food and yard waste containers out tomorrow before 7 a.m., and leave them out until 6 p.m. Thursday night.
According to the press release, Teamsters Local 117 went on strike last Wednesday after their contract with Waste Management expired on May 31. Teamsters 174 garbage and yard drivers have been honoring the picket lines.
The strike affects about 60 percent of the city, the press release states, particularly in the Northwest and South quadrants, including the Ballard area. The other 40 percent, which is mostly collected by CleanScapes, remains unaffected by the strike and will continue pickup as normal.
The city's contract with Waste Management requires that the company continues pickup despite disruptions, according to the SPU press release. If Waste Management does not complete pickup the next day, the city can deduct approximately $15,000 to $20,000 per day in payments. After one week of service failure, Waste Management can be fined up to $1.25 million a day.
SPU will provide updates as needed. Customers with solid waste service issues or concerns may call the Call Center at (206) 684-3000.
Customers with labor/union questions or concerns should contact Waste Management or Teamsters Local 117.