Police Blotter: Witnesses stop burglar in the act; Fight at mini-mart leads to arrest; man attacked with rake

by Cassandra Baker

11:24 p.m. on July 16th. 59th block of 24th Ave NW

Police responded to reports of a burglary in progress at an office building on the night of July 16th. Officers arrived at the scene to find two witnesses pinning down the suspect, who was lying near three cash boxes. Police spoke to a subject at the scene, who said that she was an employee of the business. She opened one of the safes that were lying near the suspect, which the witnesses had seen the suspect carry out of the business. The safe contained cash, and the employee told police that it usually contained about $700.

The responding officers interviewed several witnesses at the scene. One stated that he had heard glass breaking from across the street. Two witnesses walked to investigate, while two others stood near the business and a fifth called police. The witness who called 911 said that while he was speaking with the dispatcher, the suspect exited the business through the front door, carrying several cash boxes. The witness said that he then confronted the suspect and put him face down on the sidewalk. Another witness, who helped restrain the suspect, described the suspect as “a youngish-looking kid.” The suspect was arrested and taken to the North Precinct.

12:06 a.m. on July 13th. 90th block of 2nd Ave NW

Police responded to reports of a fight at Sandel Park around midnight on July 13th. The responding officers first made contact with a man who said that he had been attacked by a woman. He said that he attempted to greet her but she pulled a knife on him, and he threw a trash can at her to get away.

The woman told police that she had been sitting with her umbrella and minding her own business when the man suddenly knocked her umbrella down and began yelling insults at her. She said that he also threatened to kill her, although she didn’t believe that he would be able to carry out the threat. She said that the man threw several items at her, and she shielded herself with her umbrella.

Two witnesses stated that the incident had occurred as the woman had said. They said they approached the woman to assist her, at which point the man walked away. The man was arrested and later booked into King County Jail on harassment and assault charges. The case has been referred to the city attorney’s office.

11:16 p.m. on July 12th. N 105th St and Greenwood Ave N

Police responded to reports of a fight inside a mini-mart along Greenwood Ave N on the night of July 12th. The victim said that he was driving along Greenwood Ave when he saw an unknown male standing in the middle of the street and hitting cars as they drove by. The victim stopped for a red light and the suspect jumped on the hood of his vehicle. The victim yelled at the suspect, asking what he was doing, and the suspect jumped off the car. As the victim turned his vehicle, the suspect hit a rear window with a metal pipe, leaving scratches.

The victim said that the suspect then ran into the food mart shortly before the victim himself entered. Inside the store, the two engaged in a brief verbal dispute, but the victim said that the suspect then hit him several times with the metal pipe. He said that he attempted to defend himself by punching the suspect and putting him in a choke hold. The employee at the mini-mart told police that he feared for his safety during the fight and locked himself in a back room. The fight later moved outside and continued until the suspect yelled that the police were coming and ran away, jumping on the hood of another vehicle as he fled the scene.

The suspect was described as a white male about 30 years old, 5’8” with a heavy build and short hair. He was wearing a black long sleeve shirt, black pants, and a brown purse. Police located a man matching the suspect’s description hiding in a yard near the scene. The victim positively identified him as the suspect. The suspect’s bag was also found in the area; it contained a black metal baton. The suspect was transported to Harborview Medical Center and then to King County Jail, where he was booked on assault charges.

4:38 p.m. on July 11th. 15th Ave NW and NW 54th St

A man called police after he was attacked with a rake at an intersection. The victim said that he was standing on the sidewalk talking with a friend when the suspect approached him and began taunting him. The victim’s friend left the area at this point. The suspect told the victim to wait, walked away, and then came back a few minutes later with a rake. The victim said that the suspect swung at him with the rake, hitting him twice. The victim fell to the ground, and the suspect fled the scene. Police were unable to find the suspect in the area. The victim had a minor cut that was treated at the scene.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.