Police Blotter: Update on armed robbery of restaurant; two men punched in separate attacks; multiple burglaries

By Cassandra Baker, Intern

9:00 p.m. on April 2nd. 11th block of NW Market St

This is an update on the restaurant robbery first reported on April 3rd. The two suspects entered the restaurant through an unlocked door and one suspect, who was armed with a pistol, kept two victims in the kitchen. The pistol was described as a small black semiautomatic. The suspect asked the victims if they spoke English, and when they said no, he spoke to them in Spanish. The armed suspect kept the pistol pointed at the suspects while the other suspect ordered one of the victims to open the safe. The victim said that she couldn’t, and the suspect asked her for money from the office, but she told him that there wasn’t any. The unarmed suspect swore at the victim and took the money, totaling $429, from the till. Then both suspects became concerned that there was another employee in the restaurant and ran out the back door.

Police requested surveillance footage of the robbery. The victims contacted the owner of the restaurant, but he never responded or came to the scene. The victims said that the armed suspect never touched anything in the restaurant, and the unarmed suspect wore gloves.

7:00 a.m. on April 2nd. 41st block of 3rd Ave NW

An unlocked garage was burglarized between 11:30 p.m. on April 1st and 7:00 the following morning. The residents of the home were asleep at the time of the burglary. The suspect went through two unlocked vehicles inside the garage and stole various items, then took a bicycle that was hanging on the garage wall. There was no information on the suspect at the time of the report.

12:37 a.m. on March 29th. 5th block of NW 65th St

Police responded to reports of six people attacking a man late on the night of March 28th. The responding officer arrived at the scene to find the victim sitting on the ground with blood on his head. The victim said that he did not know what was going on and refused to let Seattle Fire take him to the hospital. He said that he did not remember what had happened and that he would not be able to identify any of his attackers. A witness said that she would take him to the hospital.

Another witness said that he was walking with the victim and three other people when two men approached the group and called them hicks. The witness said that he thought it was a joke, but then the suspect punched the victim in the head and the two suspects ran off in opposite directions. Officers checked the house to which the witness thought one of the suspects had run, but the suspect was not located. Neighbors identified the residence as a nuisance. Neither suspect was found in the area.

7:28 p.m. on March 27th. 30th block of NW 54th St

Police responded to reports of an aggravated assault that had occurred at the Ballard Locks on the evening of March 27th. The victim said that he was sitting on a bench at the Locks when he was approached by the suspect, who he described as an Indian male in his twenties with scars on his face and wearing black clothing. The suspect asked the victim for a cigarette, but the victim refused because he was still angry with the suspect for attacking him a week earlier. The suspect became angry and punched the victim several times in the face. The victim was eventually able to defend himself and punched the suspect until the suspect ran away.

The victim went to Swedish Hospital and was treated for a broken hand. Police were pursuing several leads on the suspect at the time of the report.

3:30 p.m. on March 27th. 3rd block of NW 74th St

A woman returned home on the afternoon of March 27th to find that it had been burglarized. The suspect forced open a basement door and stole two laptops and all of the victim’s jewelry. No fingerprints were found in the house. The victim said that when she left for work that morning she saw two white males in their thirties in the alley behind her house, and they had watched her leave. She had never seen them in the neighborhood before.

3:00 p.m. on March 27th. 15th block of NW 62nd St

A woman returned to her apartment on the afternoon of March 27th to find that it had been burglarized. The victim’s camera equipment, laptop, and jewelry had been stolen. There was no evidence of forced entry, but the victim was sure that she had locked the apartment door that morning before leaving. The suspect had locked the door after leaving, but had not used the lock the victim usually used.

We encourage our readers to comment. No registration is required. We ask that you keep your comments free of profanity and keep them civil. They are moderated and objectionable comments will be removed.