The 2010 Fremont Summer Solstice Parade brought some color to an otherwise gray Seattle weekend June 19. CLICK IMAGE FOR MORE PHOTOS (Warning: Contains some nudity).
SLIDESHOW: Seattle struts its stuff in Solstice Parade
Despite the gloomy weather, June 19 really was the summer solstice, and Seattleites came out in droves, braving the clouds and the rain, to strut their stuff or watch others do the strutting in the annual Fremont Summer Solstice Parade.
From the traditional naked cyclists to floats celebrating the Beatles and decrying wasted phone books, the parade had something for everyone, exemplifying Fremont's unofficial motto – “Delibertus Quirkus," or the freedom to be peculiar.
The Fremont Fair, of which the parade is a part, continues though 6 p.m. tonight.
The fair features:
- More than 300 shopping booths featuring colorful world imports and novel handmade creations, plus boutique shopping throughout the streets.
- Artistic street and stage performers showcasing a wide-range of talents, including featured act Cabiri Troupe who will perform throughout June 20 on Daedalus, a fully freestanding aerial dance stage.
- Mouthwatering food vendors and visits to beloved Fremont dining spots.
- Eclectic activities, including Shakespeare performances at the famous troll statue, and an entertaining Saturday night of Beach Blanket Gay Bingo at Fremont Studios.
- Annual Seattle Art Car Blowout display of up to 75 wacky head-turning vehicles adorned with colorful paint, sculptures and glued embellishments.
- Many of Seattle’s favorite bands on two stages throughout the weekend.
- Thirst-quenching Beer Garden, as well as the usual local bar scene to imbibe in.
- Hands-on art activities for children and teens, including face painting, community painting, sidewalk chalk art contest, drumming instructions and more, organized by the Fremont Abbey Arts Center.
- People watching galore. The fair is known for spectators dressed in all manners of colorful costumes and crazy get-ups.
Click the image above for a slideshow from the 2010 Fremont Summer Solstice Parade. Warning: contains some nudity.
Photo gallery for this story